Skip to main content

OLD - Week 1 Day 3 Afternoon

It was mid-afternoon when they arrived in Macewood, the fumes and steam of the various stands mixing into a pillar of white, towering above the market town, acting as a signal beacon that can be seen for miles.
“So, you hungry?” asked Seth as he caught Ellyn staring at a heavy laden food cart that they passed. Ellyn nodded furiously.
Seth found a gap in the stalls and expertly maneuvered the cart into the space; it was outside the ruins of an old-world restaurant called M-Dons, and had a big ‘M’ outside. It seemed that the food it sold had an extremely good sell-by-date and was still edible so someone had continued the business. Seth went in and bought them a sandwich each. It came wrapped in paper, and Ellyn un-wrapped it, then bit her sandwich, she looked around while she was chewing, and looked at Seth. He saw her looking at him and raised an eyebrow back at her;
“Mmmph?” asked Seth with his mouth full “Hmmmm, Hmf, Huhmf.”
“You did what!?” questioned Ellyn, smirking
Seth held up his finger “hmff, mph.”
Ellyn folded her arms and looked at Seth, waiting for him to finish, while he just sat there, chewing and looking pleased with himself. Seth swallowed, he called Acorn who ate the crumbs from his hand. Seth wiped his hands down his front to wipe of the Acorn slime; he then looked at Ellyn who could tell even with the mask on that he was smiling.
“So what’s up chuck?” chimed Seth.
Ellyn just shook her head, rolled her eyes and looked away at the town, observing the variety of people there. Some were selling things, others buying it. Some people were just moving through the town, not looking at anything or anyone. And throughout it all there were these little creatures running around under people’s feet, they looked like some sort of rodent, “Skiddly little things aren’t they” Ellyn asked Seth. She turned to Seth, to see that he had dived headfirst into one of his storage chests, and was routing around within it. She gave a soft chuckle and continued to watch him as he muttered under his breath to himself. Eventually he reappeared and presented a small box to Ellyn, who tentatively took the box and opened it. Inside was a metal straw, she held it between her fingers, studying it.
“Why would I need this?” Ellyn asked,
“Watch this” Seth said, he then proceeded push a straw of his own through the membrane of his mask, which he had put on to demonstrate, then placed the other end into a sealed bottle sort of container, and began to drink, whilst he drank he waved his arms, massively demonstrating his point, indicating for Ellyn to do the same.
“Really? I’d never guess the straw would be used to drink things” Said Ellyn sarcastically, at this point Seth stopped flapping his arms, and removed his straw from his mask.
“It’s so you don’t have to take your mask off to drink, quite useful, here” he explained as he handed her the bottle. Ellyn proceeded to take a drink herself, trying the straw in her mask, standing in the middle of the cart, she began to feel uncomfortable, Seth and Acorn staring at her didn’t help either. Seth however was actually day-dreaming about food and failed to notice that he was staring at Ellyn, Acorn was just copying him. When Ellyn had drank enough, which was more than she was expecting, she handed back the container to Seth, and began to give the straw back as well but Seth held up his hands and said with a grin
“It’s yours! I don’t want it, I have my own, keep it, plus you’ll never know when you might need it.” Ellyn shrugged and put it in her bag.
There was a moment’s pause, then a loud bell chimed 6 times from somewhere in Macewood, Ellyn turned to Seth as the people around the cart stopped what they were doing and started packing up their stalls and or businesses and moved off. When the entire clamour died down, Seth answered the question before Ellyn asked it
“Six chimes means a dust storm is coming” Seth explained “you probably won’t have experienced one before, since you’ve been living in the forest, but here in the plains, they happen sometimes.”

“So what do we do?” asked Ellyn rising an eyebrow, Seth replied “we need to get somewhere sheltered, my cart will do but we need to move out of this market, its far too open.” Seth then moved to the console at the front of the cart, slapped a few buttons, and the cart started up, he moved the throttle forwards and the cart lurched into motion and Seth expertly manoeuvred the cart away from the market.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driftwood Chopsticks - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 I rose with the morning alarm, the blaring siren that goes off at 8:00 am. I hopped out of my bunk and strode into the shower before my roommates could hog it. I let the hot water cascade down me, cleansing me as much mentally as physically. I dressed in a freshly laundered uniform, a dark green boiler suit emblazoned with the bases logo, a trident with wings and the phrase “ Sub fluctibus Salutis ” which is more or less latin for, it is safe under the waves. After checking that I had all my things, I shouldered my bag, and headed for school with Riza, who had already unbuttoned the top two buttons on the uniform. We both agreed that trying to face the morning rush hour wasn’t worth it, so we took the more “express” route. An air vent near to our room had a broken lock so you could just climb in and follow the vents to your destination, it had taken us about a year's worth of free time to find the correct route. I was grateful for the padding on the knees and elbows ...

OLD - Week 1 Day 5 Evening

As the sun dipped below the horizon, once more hidden by the hills in the distance, they rode the cart through some woods to a large building standing on its own in a concreted plaza. Seth parked outside and Acorn was left to guard the cart again. Without the sun the wind was quickly chilling them and Ellyn began to shiver. Seth noticed and took off his jumper and draped it over her shoulders, she did not protest. Ellyn saw that Seth was wearing a black long sleeved shirt; it had some sort of crest on it which she did not recognise. They quickly hurried towards the building; it was a large building with a clock on the outside, which was not working. The windows were boarded up but there was light streaming from the gaps, and voices could be heard from within. Seth linked arms with Ellyn to keep her close, he muttered something about appearances and it’s her first time but most of his words were stolen by the wind. They approached the bouncer at the door, a wall of a man that stood wi...

Driftwood Chopsticks - Part of the Bag of Beginnings

Chapter 1: A speech to the masses “And now a reading from Miss Sakamoto, from class 2B” said Mr Strauss, the whole base clapped me as I walked across the stage to the microphone. I felt so small under so many stares, I looked down at the piece of paper which was supposed to have my speech written on it, instead it had a picture of a cowboy riding a narwhal on the moon, no, I don’t know how that works either but it does so ok? I looked up from the paper, and stared at the back wall of the classroom, through the porthole positioned there and into the deep blue water beyond. I took a deep breath and began: “I am grateful. I am grateful for the food we eat and the water we drink. I am grateful for the walls which keep us safe, and dry” There was a small chuckle from the audience, “I am grateful for the friends and family I have. I am grateful for my education and the teachers who provide it. I am grateful for the life I lived and will live. But most of all, I am grateful for the ove...