Skip to main content

Artificial Ignorance - Part of the Casual Collection of Catastrophes Volume 2

It was my 143rd birthday, the holo cake still managed to fit all of the candles. I stood in the lounge with my friends and family, my parents came all the way across the ocean to my habitat just to celebrate my birthday. They had to hire a special drone to fly them across, they did live 50 years before the singularity after all. My sister made the joke that they are nearly more nanomachines than person at this point. The act of giving gifts at birthdays phased out a long time ago, since everyone lives so long now, even my grandmother, who lived most of her life before it happened, made it to 203rd birthday! I mean, they cured cancer within the first five years after the singularity. The year is now 127 PS, PS standing for Post Singularity. The oceans have risen and most of the 12 billion people of the earth live on habitats which float on the surface of the ocean. The lunar bases are restricted to qualified professionals ever since the “Grey Lung” epidemic of 120 PS and the few space stations that exist in the junk ring are considered slums. The Martian colony is expanding rapidly, and its waiting list is already taking bookings for the next 300 years. Landers are starting to prepare for human missions to locations outside the asteroid belt. Some of the prospecting bases in the belts are gaining popularity so flights there are becoming more frequent.
We were sitting at the table getting our HSP’s or “Human Sustenance Pellets”, though most people just call them “Peps”, and the doorbell rang. To my surprise when I answered the door my boss was stood there, her work uniform hung crisp to her form.
“Oh, Good Morning Ma’am!” I said stepping aside to let her in.
“Good morning George, is this a bad time?” she asked me, taking off her hat.
“No, of course not ma’am, we were just getting our peps, you can join us if you want?” I replied.
“It’s alright, I won’t be staying long, I just came to give you this in person,” she said handing me a holo puck.
I pulled off the case and switched it on, immediately I was presented with an image of Sir John Maxwell, the head of the company I work for. He addressed me directly,
“George Harrol Manoson, CID 16216295, you have been selected for transfer to the Omega base, congratulations. Your shuttle leaves in three days from habitat 307, supplies will be provided for you, so only bring the minimum. I give you my personal congratulations for your achievements with the company and look forward to your future endeavours. Oh, and one more thing. Happy Birthday.” The messaged fizzled out and I could hardly believe it. My sister came to see if everything was alright, she saw my boss and backed out, they never did see eye to eye.
I thanked my boss and said goodbye before going back to the party. Honestly this was one of the best birthday surprises I ever received.


I stood at the base of the launch pad, flanked by my old assistants, one of which would be getting my old job. My sister was there too, her commander let her have the day off for such an occasion. The camera drones buzzed about frantically, trying to capture every moment. The capacitors started to hum as they began charging for the launch, I hugged my sister goodbye and shook hands with my assistants, then made my way to the lift. There were three others coming with me on the shuttle, I didn’t know them at the time but over the course of the trip I’d learn all about them. Two were high engineers, chosen to help maintain the base. The other was a prime botanist, who was going to take part in the bio-domes there. And then there was me, an executive surgeon, though not like the ones before pre singularity. With the advances in medicine, people can now be healed with a simple nanobot shot, so doctors and other similar professions died out. I am a surgeon for robots and other intelligent machines. Due to certain laws and rules, they cannot perform code changes themselves, nor can they make physical changes either, this includes significant repairs. I watched the event from inside the shuttle before lift off, I did think I looked good in the interview.
The countdown began and the whole craft began to vibrate as power surged into the rails.
10...
9...
8...
7...
6...
5...
4...
And...
Then...
The...
World...
Started...
Turning...
Sideways...

An explosion rocked the vessel, one of the rail supports had been destroyed and the whole assemblage was falling onto its side, but the rails had already charged fully, so when it came to their discharge, instead of launching us into space, the vessel was sent a couple thousand miles across the sea. I woke up with the compartment full of smoke and a hole in the side, leading to some poor sods habitat. I tried to get up, but there was a shard of metal pinning me to my chair, I could feel the clutches of consciousness losing their grip. I faintly remember hearing the sirens of a rescue team in the distance, over the sound of the alarms of the vessel and habitat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soldier, Sunny Side Up - Part of the Bag of Beginnings

This is the story of Corporal Jash Masterson, and how he survived world war 3. A Smoothie of Comrades- I was tucked into my bunk when the first bombs fell. The ground trembling around me, I heard loud noises from within the compound as some of the ceiling caved in. I flung myself from my bunk, and legged it down the corridors. The corridors I knew so well, rushing past me as I charged forwards, the piercing wails of the alarms cutting through the chaos. I was one of the first to make it to the kit room, a few others made it in before the ceiling collapsed outside the door. The hardened walls and roof of the kit room, made us all feel better. In the room with me were; Captain David Hams, Lieutenant Laura Barnsley, Corporal Gregory Smithers and Madam Cornblower, one of the Compounds cooks. We all stayed silent for the first five minutes, except for the still screaming alarms, recovering from the sudden start, breathing heavily. I stood up and made my way to one of the cases and

OLD - Week 1 Day 1 Afternoon

Macewood, a small village, that would be more aptly called a trading camp, is a small selection of make-shift houses and tents, it boasts the biggest market for miles and for this reason it finds home to many travellers. Macewood sits nearby a set of sprawling forests, while being contained in the area known as the plains, it is frequented by dust storms which give anything and everything that doesn’t move a red-brown shade. Seth was selling his wares at the Macewood market and was currently bartering with a portly blue skinned bar man over a large gold flagon. “Ten gold pieces!”  Seth Declared, beaming, “Picked this beauty up in a tomb of a lost king!” Explained Seth, covering up this blatant lie with a cheery smile. “Hmmmm…..I’ll give you 7” replied the bar man “I said ten!” Said Seth “What makes you think I’ll give it to you for 7?” “Well, it’s a bit battered isn’t it?” said the barman This was a complete understatement; the flagon was covered in dents and scratches

OLD - Week 1 Day 2 Morning

The forest that Seth had made camp in that night also happened to contain the Barons place of residence, so both parties used the area to their advantage by hunting and trapping the creatures that also resided there. This forest was coated in tall thin pine trees, but occasionally, areas were punctuated with the odd looking Kamra trees, their Prussian blue bark and bright red and yellow flowers making them popular among artists, while their toxic fruit making them popular among poets. Seth woke early the next morning and just lay in his hammock for a while listening to the “birds” calling, well what we call birds now anyway Seth thought as he rolled off his hammock, he stretched his arm and groped around in the half-light until he found what he was looking for. He reattached his left arm and switched it on; a soft whirring noise was now being produced by the little box between his shoulder blades as the byronium crystal was set spinning. He sat and considered his situation then p