Skip to main content

OLD - Week 1 Day 1 Evening

After finding a suitable spot in the forest, Seth parked the cart and turned the engine off, pressed a button on the panel next to the steering wheel, and a layer of canvas sprung up creating a roof and walls for him to sleep in, he untied his hammock and climbed in. He replaced his filter and with a quick look around, he pulled his hat down low over his eyes.



As the evening drew to a close and Valther got drunker and less coherent Ellyn’s job ended as Valther was handed over to the night maids. Ellyn went down to the basement where the servant quarters are, and the familiar journey to her room never seemed more comforting. As she entered her room she smelled that familiar scent and saw the familiar scene, of her posters that adorn the walls, her random artefacts that litter the shelves and her bed, still unmade from when she rushed out of it that morning. Ellyn pulled off her uniform and changed into her nightdress. She took down her hair so it hung about her shoulders. Ellyn looked into the mirror and thought about what she saw there; Yep, I’m alright thought Ellyn as she flopped onto the bed. She pulled her beddings around her and slid her hand under her pillow for her most precious item, a small round pebble with sigil engraved on it, the only remnant of her parents. As she clutched the stone she closed her eyes and slowly fell into a long comfortable sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Driftwood Chopsticks - Chapter 2

Chapter 2 I rose with the morning alarm, the blaring siren that goes off at 8:00 am. I hopped out of my bunk and strode into the shower before my roommates could hog it. I let the hot water cascade down me, cleansing me as much mentally as physically. I dressed in a freshly laundered uniform, a dark green boiler suit emblazoned with the bases logo, a trident with wings and the phrase “ Sub fluctibus Salutis ” which is more or less latin for, it is safe under the waves. After checking that I had all my things, I shouldered my bag, and headed for school with Riza, who had already unbuttoned the top two buttons on the uniform. We both agreed that trying to face the morning rush hour wasn’t worth it, so we took the more “express” route. An air vent near to our room had a broken lock so you could just climb in and follow the vents to your destination, it had taken us about a year's worth of free time to find the correct route. I was grateful for the padding on the knees and elbows ...

OLD - Week 1 Day 5 Evening

As the sun dipped below the horizon, once more hidden by the hills in the distance, they rode the cart through some woods to a large building standing on its own in a concreted plaza. Seth parked outside and Acorn was left to guard the cart again. Without the sun the wind was quickly chilling them and Ellyn began to shiver. Seth noticed and took off his jumper and draped it over her shoulders, she did not protest. Ellyn saw that Seth was wearing a black long sleeved shirt; it had some sort of crest on it which she did not recognise. They quickly hurried towards the building; it was a large building with a clock on the outside, which was not working. The windows were boarded up but there was light streaming from the gaps, and voices could be heard from within. Seth linked arms with Ellyn to keep her close, he muttered something about appearances and it’s her first time but most of his words were stolen by the wind. They approached the bouncer at the door, a wall of a man that stood wi...

Driftwood Chopsticks - Part of the Bag of Beginnings

Chapter 1: A speech to the masses “And now a reading from Miss Sakamoto, from class 2B” said Mr Strauss, the whole base clapped me as I walked across the stage to the microphone. I felt so small under so many stares, I looked down at the piece of paper which was supposed to have my speech written on it, instead it had a picture of a cowboy riding a narwhal on the moon, no, I don’t know how that works either but it does so ok? I looked up from the paper, and stared at the back wall of the classroom, through the porthole positioned there and into the deep blue water beyond. I took a deep breath and began: “I am grateful. I am grateful for the food we eat and the water we drink. I am grateful for the walls which keep us safe, and dry” There was a small chuckle from the audience, “I am grateful for the friends and family I have. I am grateful for my education and the teachers who provide it. I am grateful for the life I lived and will live. But most of all, I am grateful for the ove...